Tips for a Splendid Visit to the Newport Flower Show
If you haven’t already become a fan, I hope this is the year you treat yourself to a visit to the Newport Flower Show. It really is a show like no other, starting with the stellar combination of the gorgeous Rosecliff setting and the (usually) summery, breezy late-June weather. Here are a few tips for getting the most out of your visit:
- If you like saving money - and who doesn’t? - order your tickets in advance online through Thursday, June 22nd, and save $5 on every ticket. You can use that $5 to buy a delicious pastry at the French bakery on the front lawn or an ice cream at the Ben & Jerry’s stand on the Oceanside lawn!
- Unlike all those wintertime flower shows, the Newport show is mainly outdoors and covers a large area. Wear comfortable shoes and ladies, leave your high heels at home. You are walking mainly on lawns, and they’re often damp with dew in the morning.
- Festive, flowery attire and fashionable hats are everywhere – even on the guys. Don’t be shy – Newport feels like a party and a show rolled into one, and if your outfit makes you smile, you’ll fit right in.
- Seaside weather can change on a dime. Foggy and misty, sunny and hot, cool and breezy – sometimes all in one day! Some days the wind kicks up or a shower passes through. Watch the forecast and bring along a compact umbrella or poncho if the chance of showers is high. Bring along a light wrap or jacket too, and you’re sure to be comfortable no matter what. We also recommend a hat and/or sunscreen, especially for the Oceanside lawn (where Sunny Window is located), because there’s little shade there.
- Lots of free lectures and demonstrations are included in your admission, so check your program book when you arrive to be sure you make time to attend the ones that look enticing to you.
- One of the nicest things about the Newport Show is the many places where you can sit and just take in the beautiful views, listen to the band, and enjoy a drink or something to eat. Newport rewards those who like to stroll and savor – there’s so much to see - so give yourself lots of time and don’t rush. You’ll be glad you came.
Sunny Window will be, as always, at Booth 37 in the Oceanside Marketplace. We look forward to seeing you!